The Women’s Missionary Society (WMS) has been a force in mission work for the Presbyterian Church in Canada for over 100 years. The WMS has gone through changes but throughout the years we have endeavoured to keep our focus on Jesus’ ministry to others.
It has been becoming clearer that changes had to be made. Council has been working on adjusting to the current times and needs. The Glad Tidings magazine has been discontinued and staff reductions have been made. We extend our heartfelt thanks to Editor Colleen Wood and Program Coordinator Alexis McKeown for their years of excellent service with the WMS.
With the COVID-19 pandemic we have had to adapt very quickly to the fact that Council, Synodical, Presbyterial and Auxiliary members could not meet face to face. We have met the challenge by becoming familiar with the Zoom online meeting platform, allowing meetings at all levels with members and friends across Canada.
Here are examples:
- Council, Southwestern Ontario (SWO) and Central, Northeastern Ontario & Bermuda (CNOB).
- Synodicals and some Presbyterials held their Annual meetings which were cancelled in April and May 2020 due to COVID-19 restrictions.
- New St. James (London, Ontario) mission auxiliary hosted a Thanksgiving service online with members from other auxiliaries and friends.
- A member of New St James knitted pocket prayer shawls and attached a Christmas prayer and blessing to distribute to housebound and friends in the Church.
- West and East Toronto Presbyterials hosted an online gathering with guest Becky Bauman who with husband Dr. Nick and their family represented the Presbyterian Church in Canada (PCC) in Nepal.
- A WMS-wide Christmas Service was a highlight of Council Executive with 138 participants.
How have members continued to reach out with so many limits on personal contact? Many resorted to the old method of phone calls and cards/notes. Those with e-mail sent messages and others found unique ways. St. Paul’s Mission Circle in Simcoe organized some 30 Christmas gift bags which the manager of the seniors’ apartments next door delivered to the residents.
To respond to individuals and groups who are not able to meet and to foster fellowship among members and friends, the “Come Together” online series has been organized by the WMS Council Executive with the following dates and topics:
|February 10||Let’s Come Together|
|March 10||Come Together – World Day of Prayer|
|April 7||Come Together – Easter Worship|
|May 12||Come Together – Mission Awareness|
|June 16||Come Together – Fellowship and Sharing|
To participate in any of the above please contact one of the following: